/ Initiatives

Specular microscope program

Two new specular microscopes have been funded and given to the Quebec eye bank, located at the Maisonneuve-Rosemont hospital, and the eye bank at the Centre universitaire en ophtalmologie at the Centre hospitalier universitaire de Québec (CHU).
Héma-Québec is the largest human tissue bank in Canada. Specifically, it collects human tissue (cornea, heart valves, skin grafts, bones and tendons) to be used by hospitals for future recipients. Scientists in the human tissue department collect eye tissue for use in corneal transplants and oversee all operations in partnership with Quebec’s two eye banks, located at the Maisonneuve-Rosemont hospital and the Centre hospitalier universitaire de Québec (CHU).

In addition to overseeing the supply of eye tissues, Héma-Québec provides material resources and a regulatory framework. On their end, the eye banks provide the technical and scientific expertise. Historically, approximately 11% of corneas have been rejected for transplant by reason of endothelial abnormalities. With the old microscopes, it was impossible to see every part of the cornea and make out the difference between a hole and a true endothelial abnormality. In case of doubt, even if the reason is lack of information, corneas are rejected.

The new specular microscopes increase the ability to see and evaluate corneas prior to transplant and provide more information to eye bank technicians. There is reason to believe that this new generation of specular microscope could reduce the number of corneas rejected for endothelial abnormalities by as much as half. With extra help from the Héma-Québec Foundation, a total of $110,000 was raised thanks to seven partners: Lions Club International, Lions CLub of Laval, Lions Club of Terrebonne and the Lions Club Foundation, which funded 80% of the total amount. The remaining 20% was funded by the Hôpital Maisonneuve-Rosemont Foundation, the Fondation du CHU de Québec and the Héma-Québec Foundation.

It’s for projects like this that we count on your generosity and support!

We would like to thank the following donors who have made this project possible: 

Fondation des Clubs Lions

Clubs Lions de Terrebonne

Are you interested in supporting this program? Make a donation!

Specular microscope program 


110 000$

Spread the word about this program

Follow the Foundation on Facebook,
LinkedIn and Instagram for the
latest news and updates.


Héma-Québec Foundation
4045, Côte-Vertu boulevard
Saint-Laurent (Québec)  H4R 2W7

Phone: 514 832-5000 # 5372
Fax: 514 904-3077


© 2021 Héma-Québec foundation. All rights reserved.